Last night while returning from a trip to Gypsy Lea's in Sauk Rapids and Italian dinner in St. Cloud, we saw a giant pillar of black smoke. We encountered a large number of fire trucks and County Sheriff's squads all a glitter when we entered the town. A derelict old building on Custer Street (named when the town was organized in 1880), the two block long main drag, was fully engulfed in flames and smoke. Firefighters from South Haven, Kimball, Watkins and Annandale were pumping water and saving the post office. (The white building to the left of the fire.)
This was the most excitement in town since the 2 block long parade last summer. Even the inhabitants of the muni were out on the street, beer glasses firmly in hand, watching the building blaze.