Thursday, April 14, 2011

A True Arts & Crafts Tile

I bought an interesting tile tonight at the auction in St. Cloud. I got it in box of other stuff, but it was the reason that I bought the box.

The tile was made at Merton Abbey works by William De Morgan in conjunction with William Morris. De Morgan and Morris are the Godfathers of the arts and crafts movement. Their studio works from this 1882-88 period are avidly collected by arts and crafts affectionatos.

This 6in x 6in tile was designed by De Morgan as he was experimenting with Hispano-Muslim designs and pottery. The palette and techniques that he developed at Merton Abbey were used in his Persian style tiles made in the 1890's.

This tile was a great find and will stay here at Flannery Bay with the rest of my pottery and tile collection.

Mr. Flannery

1 comment:

red.neck chic said...

Oh - I like that!!!!!!

;-D robelyn