I decided to try to refinish one more warehouse cart before winter shuts me down. The cart that I have had a few problems. The most glaring was the coating of tar on the surface. Sometime in the past someone (idiot) decided that the cart would be improved by adding a heavy layer of the black tarry substance that was once used to glue linoleum tile to a floor.
I tried scraping it. I tried sanding it. Only thing that happen was that the sand paper immediately filled up with tar and became useless. The last time that I encountered this problem I ended up using a propane torch and a scrapper to remove it. This time I settled on using a stiff wire wheel on my angle grinder. Dust, pieces of tar and stray individual wires from the wheel flew in every direction. (But no blazes needed to be extinguished as in my past experiment.) It took more than two hours to clear an 8 square foot surface. Now I can sand and refinish the cart for its next life.
As usual, Babe was a big help in dealing with this project. The pallet top and the lights are also in progress and should be ready for the December sales.
If you encounter a project involving this tar like substance, I suggest a nuclear attack. And even then I am afraid that, like the cockroaches, it may well survive.