Sunday, November 7, 2010

Gothenburg to Gypsy Lea's

I brought pieces of a Singer sewing machine into our October sale at Gypsy Lea's. They sold quickly. I usually refuse to deal with old sewing machines because they are heavy and for the most part unsellable. Cutting the machine up into a few parts changed that. So I spent this month looking at every sewing machine that I encountered and none of the machines had usable parts. Anyway --- the reason that I had the machine was because it had been included in a lot with two items that I wanted. I wanted two wooden trunks that were hand made in Sweden.

The trunks were 1890-1910 immigrant trunks, not the fancy painted and addressed trunks of an earlier era, just easily stackable flat topped boxes that fit well into the holds of the late 19th century steerage carriers. But they have hand cut dove tails, nice straight grained fir boards and the remnants of old style red Scandinavian paint. I repaired the ravages of a century sitting in basements or barns and gave the trunk a nice coat of amber shellac. The best feature was the Cunard Lines Gothenburg to America shipping tag.

The trunks look great and they are now stacked at Gypsy Lea's for the November sale.

The 1938 globe, No. 64 locker basket and dental office multi-drawer cabinet are my hogs awaiting placement for the November sale. I'll have more pictures of the set up soon. The November sale starts on Thursday.

Mr. Flannery

2 comments:

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ahhh those will go fast. You find the neatest stuff.

red.neck chic said...

I like the locker basket - but the trunks are GORGEOUS!!! Oh wait... I'll take the globe too. LOL

;-D

(I've got my head buried in my arm at the though of sewing machine parts... haha!)