Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Working on My Masters - In Truck Loading

I went to an auction near Spicer Minnesota last night. It started at 4:30 and I got there about 5:30. I hadn't missed anything. The smalls and tools were not of much interest so I mostly sat and watched while the next two hours passed. I did buy an English Tantalus frame. Great metal, wood and mechanics, but no bottles. I'm pretty certain that no one else knew (or cared) what is was.

The furniture wasn't special, but there were two or three pieces that I was interested in buying. They were the heaviest things, other than a tractor, that were there. I bought a giant 36 drawer cupboard, a cupboard base and an antique pump organ with its stool. As I said, good junk, but nothing special.

I then loaded all these pieces into my truck. I packed them so efficiently that I was even able to close the tailgate. Part of my masters degree in truck loading for sure. It was drizzling, 41* and dark when I got home at 10:oo PM, so I didn't even attempt to unload the truck.

Even the small white bentwood chair is carefully packed into the truck without undue overhang.





This 1940's leather office chair is going to be part of my office redo. I have been using a hard wood captain's chair, but now I will have springs and cushions instead. Babe is checking out the merchandice prior to admitting it into HIS house.


The chair is steel and leather. It is built like a tank and weighs about 50 pounds. Must be part of the post WWII return to civilian manufacture. They just took the gun out of the turret and upholstered it. It has lasted 60 years and with a little bit of leather cleaner, should be good for another 40.

The rest of the stuff will be unloaded today. I'll build a top for the drawer unit and then paint it. It'll probably be at Gypsy Lea's for the June sale. The pump organ will be sacrificed. Some pieces will go to the project that I'm doing with the other pump organ that I bought last week. The keyboard, stool and some fancy frame pieces will be at Gypsy Lea's too.

I have to unload the truck today because I have another auction tonight. Oh boy!

Mr. Flannery

3 comments:

red.neck chic said...

Excuse me, but I think you've got my chair.

yep.

Good grief that thing is awesome!!!

I'm fairly certain that you have a phd in truck loading... that's a pretty good packin' job! LOL

;-D robelyn

SecondhandKris said...

Soooooooooooo - did you fill up the truck at Lampi's too????? And then will you fill it up again tonite at Miller's?

Mr. Flannery said...

Kris - No full load from Lampi's. I bought a large Dala horse that was once mounted on the side of Hoffman Electric in Buffalo and a full 20# propane tank. We'll see about Miller's tonight.