Saturday, May 17, 2008

Beaux Art Folio

The auction that I attended on Saturday had a number of interesting pieces of furniture. The nice stuff all sold for more than my perception of wholesale. I have always been surprised by auction attendees who whine about dealers raising prices. It seems to me that a true dealer has to buy items at wholesale so they can be resold. A collector should be able to bid more than wholesale, which can be substantially less than retail, and outbid the dealer. But then people do like to whine, to complain about someone with more money, more knowledge or more guts than they have.

I only bought three items at this auction. One of them has me very excited. It is a 1907 portfolio of architectural drawings, Choix d'Elements l'Architecture Classique, by Gromort. There are 59 large separate folios of classical architectural elements and famous buildings. They are very frameable and probably would sell very well as individual folios. However, I really like them and they may have to live at my house for a while. I may even take them to the Antiques Roadshow appraisal that I have tickets for in July.


Mr. Flannery

No comments: