Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday??

What's so black about the day after Thanksgiving. There's cold turkey and pumpkin pie in the refrigerator, football on TV and good weather on the tundra. It was 40* and sunny on November 27th, nothing black about that.

I was watching TV with good friends yesterday and tracking the 4 AM openings here and 5 AM "door busters" there, I decided that I wasn't going to participate. I'm not getting up at 3 AM to get to some retail store by 4. Babe, as is his wont, woke me up at 7. Babe and I fed the cats and then I fed Babe. A shower and shave later I was ready for errands. I had groceries to buy, banking to do and the 2nd day of an estate sale to check out.

I got to the Walmart in Buffalo at about 8:30. Busy, but no crazy crowds. I went in and found the $128 HD TV that I had looked at the night before was still in stock. So were the $24 4GB MP3 player and the 4 GB flash drive for $8. No early bird crowds to jostle, no bleary eyed drive in the middle of the night. Nothing black or hectic about my trip.

I went to the estate sale and bought 2 old leather chairs and an ottoman. They are already at Gypsy Lea's for the December sale. Then home to install the new electronics. Babe was more interested in the large number of geese on the lake than he was in the HDTV. I set up the TV -- looks great. And then went outside to put my new tires and wheels on my ATV. Babe watched, but liked to keep an eye on the geese.

I spent the best part of Black Friday at Dave Miller's auction in St. Cloud. I guess that everyone who had been in the malls this morning was at the auction this evening. Kris and I both liked the brass button panel from a 30 floor elevator. I was willing to bid $35-40. It sold for $285. Needless to say neither of us was the successful bidder. I got varied odds and ends, but really don't like the idea of so many people at my auction.

It was a very nice day, nothing black about it. I even shopped the early bird sales, but only at the fashionably late end. I give thanks that I didn't feel compelled to get up at 3 AM for an MP3 player.

Mr. Flannery

4 comments:

red.neck chic said...

I just knew you were smarter than the average black bear...and look at that! I was right! TV and Mp3 player - even some fun stuff from an auction!! Whoo hoo!!!

I avoided any and all stores yesterday and was perfectly fine with it! LOL Even the antique store that I raided last night was only crowded with the fun people!

Did you and Babe go for a cruise on the ATV after changing the tires or did he not want to leave the geese?

;-) Have a great week-end!
Robelyn

Mr. Flannery said...

We took the 4 wheeler for a test drive. Babe likes to run in front of the ATV. Up the big hill full speed. Back down the hill. He wants to race more than anything else.

red.neck chic said...

LOL He has to work off his holiday pounds...no turkey for him, only geese...heehee

Jaybird said...

Did Babe get a Goose????
Glad you had a good day!