Monday, November 16, 2009

A Painting Dilemma

I'm in a dilemma concerning what to do with two painted furniture projects that I have been working on. The first is a large bench with a lift up seat. I painted the bench a satin black over the hard light yellow enamel that it used to wear. My problem is with the bench seat (the portion that lifts up for access to storage). I have sanded and stained it. Now I am wondering whether I should paint the seat top rather than just staining it. I have a brownish green paint in mind. What do you think?


Then there is this dresser. I painted it like a Swedish flag about 5 years ago. I have scuffed it with sandpaper and am contemplating shabbying it with some stain to dirty it up a little. I have the chrome handles ready to be reattached. Now I am wondering whether I should bother spending any more time on this item. Will it sell? What other techniques can I apply to make it saleable? Its a cheap dresser and it will burn well. Again, what do you think?

Mr. Flannery

6 comments:

red.neck chic said...

Here's my two cents (and remember - I am a firm believer in coloring outside the lines...)on the black bench (which is SO AWESOME!!!) I would upholster the seat in a burlap and then stencil "sit here" in big black block letters. LOL Seriously, that' what I would do! Or, if that didn't work how about a distressed, beat-up apple green?

As for the dresser - that is so cool!!! What if you LEFT the flag and did a beat-up, dirty white wash over it? Kind of fade it out? It could be your hog-like grunt to swedish design! ;-D

What is the tealy/blue under the dresser? That's a pretty color too!!!

I TRY for the creams and whites and neutrals....it never works for me. ha! SO - YAY for color!!!

;-) Robelyn

P.S. When I poke my orange head around the corner at one of your sales, all primed and ready for some good junkin' - does that include a raid on your storage building?

Mr. Flannery said...

Robelyn - How do I do a whitewash? Remember I am just getting beyond the "Old English scratch cover" stage.

As for a visit north - of course the storage will be opened to you, but the guards will check for any packages leaveing w/o permission.

red.neck chic said...

I'll just duct tape the guards to the storage room doors...then I'll make a mad dash laughing hysterically like the hoodlum I am...see...I've got plans. HA!

The way I white wash (and there are probably more "correct" ways of doing it, but I am me...)
I take white latex paint and thin it to almost "white water" status, then I wipe it on with a sponge brush and wipe it off with a rag - a few times until I get the desired effect! And if I'm using oil based I just mix about 3 parts thinner to 1 part paint - those are visual measurements of course - and do the same thing! But, like I said - there might be more formal ways of doing it - that's just always worked for me!

Let me know what you come up with!!!
;-) robelyn

SecondhandKris said...

I love Red.neck chic's idea for the bench! And if you don't want to upholster (and I am assuming that you don't want to do that extra step!!) just paint block letters on the seat.

I also love the dresser (Course it would be way better if it looked like a NORWEGIAN flag!!) and the white wash would tone it down - realistically - probably be more saleable in a solid color - but not nearly as much fun!!

Marge of Emmas Nook and Granny said...

I have to agree with Kris. A solid color on the dresser would sell better but it's more work than a white wash. Love the ideas so far for the bench. It really is awesome!

Mr. Flannery said...

I'm going to cover the electrical outlet hole in the bench with a piece of an old tin. Part of a coffee can maybe. As for the flag. I'll probably haul it to the new storage and worry about it next Spring.