Saturday, December 26, 2009

'Tis the Day After Christmas

I give up! The damn fill it yourself battery for the ATV has the most Mickey Mouse terminals that I have ever dealt with. It has a roughly square nut that fits into a terminal box and then can be connected from either the top or the front depending on how you place the nut into the box. Well you need one hand to hold the nut, one to tip the battery and the THIRD to turn the bolt while holding the cables. Now even if I had a 3rd hand (either attached to me or in the form of another person) there is no room for 3 hands and arms around the battery under the fender above the tire.

The temperature made it to 35* yesterday. The snow got all wet and heavy. It was 18* overnight so the snow has now frozen into a single block. I cannot move it with a shovel. The ruts that I cut into the snow in the hour trek of getting my truck to the top of the driveway are now rock hard glacial ridges. Even if I get the ATV moving, it will not have the power to move the massive amounts of snow.

I give up! I just called the neighbor with a Bobcat. He is out plowing snow (it is one of his winter businesses, landscaping in the summer). He will plow me out sometime today. That is a good thing. But I still hate this damn do it yourself battery.

Mr. Flannery

UPDATE: It was snowing so hard that I had snow snowing out the satellite picture on TV. I had to remove the snow from the dish to remove the snow from the snowy picture.

Then the cavalry arrived. Eric and the Bobcat saved my day. He moved the snow quickly and much more cleanly than I could even hope to do with the ATV.

RNC - Babe and I made snow angels just for you. They were to the left of the tree before plowing took place. (And mine was much better than Babe's).

Mr. Flannery

4 comments:

a Bohemian Market said...

Hi Mr. Flannery:
Damn!!! The snow can take twists and turns : (
I am a Southern California female and the first ice storm I was in was 2007 in Lawton Oklahoma. It was beautiful yet rather eerie in that the trees and bushes all bent with the weight of the ice. It was amazing to me.
I came back to California after 3 months : )
I need the sun : )
Have a great rest of the year.
peace
carole

Mr. Flannery said...

Carole - Peace to you too. I must be just confirming to those of you who live in warmer climes how completely nuts those of us on the tundra really are.

red.neck chic said...

*giggle*

I don't think you're nuts... either mentally nuts or battery nuts. LOL I'd be there in a heartbeat!!!

Power tools in the form of bobcats are the best, aren't they? I want one to scrape the dirt out of my way in my driveway. HA!

I'm so glad you made a snow angel!!! I made one in your honor in the .250" of snow I got on Christmas Eve.... I bet Babe's was better than mine! LOLOLOL

So if I head North right now, I should commandeer a Bobcat? This I can do...

;-) Robelyn

Mr. Flannery said...

RNC - The interesting thing about snow removal is that we are prepared for it. Within a day of the end of the snow everything is open clear and ready for travel. Now if you get snow in Texas or Washington the "no problem" snow in MN causes a complete shut down. Head north any time you're ready.